Summary of Post
- 1 Quick Guide on how to enter sales voucher in tally
- 2 Types of Sales Invoice In tally
- 3 Two Types of sales voucher for sales entry
- 4 Credit sale entry in Tally ERP 9
- 5 Create the following ledger for sale entry
- 6 Tips: Creating service sale Invoice
- 7 As Voucher mode sale entry
- 8 Cash sales voucher entry using item invoice
- 9 Sale entry in As voucher mode item invoice.
- 10 Summary
Sale is the most important part of every business. Sale entry or sales voucher entry is a part of daily routine.Sale is revenue account in nature hence termed as the main income steam of organisation.In this lesson we will learn how to enter sales transaction in Tally ERP 9. A sale can be classified into two.
Recommend read: How to create a tax invoice in tally erp 9
Cash Sale: This does not require much explanation as its name says everything.Goods are sold on cash is called cash sale.The recording of cash sale is explained below.
Credit sale: Goods or services are sold for Credit,The consideration of sale not received at the time of selling and customer agreed to give the money at a later period.
Quick Guide on how to enter sales voucher in tally
Those are in hurry and just want to know how to do sales voucher in tally ,follow the few steps below. Prefer to read below if you need a detailed study on sales voucher.
- Go to gateway of Tally> Accounting Voucher>F8 sales (click on button or use function key F8)
- Change the date if needed by pressing F2 or date button.
- Click on Acct Invoice button if no stock is involved in the sale, or click on Item Invoice if stock items to be selected.
- Enter ref no,Party name,sales ledger,name of item ,Quantity & rate in case you have chosen item invoice.
- Enter ref no,party a/c name,particulars ( ledger to be credited) rate and amount in case you have chosen accounts invoice.
- Write the narration & and save the voucher.
Types of Sales Invoice In tally
Tally Provides Two types of Sales Entry.
- Accounting Invoice: – This Type of Voucher is used for creating Service invoices, sales invoice for Traders who does not want to keep the track of stock. By using this mode we can bill Income heads ( ledger) like, Professional charges, Consultation fees, sales Ledger Etc.For Example, An agency is charging “Agency Charges” from his client. In this case we bill Agency Charges. As far as accounting concept Agency Charge is an income Ledger .
Example 2 for Accounting Invoice: An Electronic goods leader want to bill Television sale. But he doesn’t want the stock to be maintained with Tally. In Such case we can bill the customer using his income ledger account “TV Sale” instead of billing TV name as a stock item.
Accounts Invoice is available in both Accounts Only, accounts with Inventory modes of Tally ERP 9
2. Item Invoice:-This type of invoice is available in companies enabled Accounts with Inventory mode only. If a company keeping inventory and accounts with Tally software. Then he can bill stock for Example Sony Bravia 15” Tv
To activate accounts with inventory mode of tally erp 9, go to
Gateway of Tally>Accounting Features
Keep No for the question Maintain accounts only :No
Save the screen.
To switch over Accounts Invoice and item invoice click on Accounts Invoice button on the right button panel. Or use Alt+I.
Two Types of sales voucher for sales entry
In voucher entry there are two types sales voucher in Tally. Just understand that the importance of this voucher is only in term appearance and Invoice mode is helpful for automatic calculation of Taxes.You can enter Accounts invoice ( professional charges) & Item Invoice ( like mobiles, rice, spare parts) using both as voucher mode and as invoice mode vouchers.
- As voucher: This mode is used to enter sales transactions in double entry mode. The below image give you the typical sales screen in as voucher mode.
2. As Invoice: This type of voucher is used to enter sales transactions, and want to issue an invoice/bill to customer. This voucher is useful for automatic calculation of taxes in sales invoice. Below is the typical sales screen as Invoice.
To enter sales transactions in tally there are
- Two types of Invoices are there ( Accounts Invoice & Item Invoice)
- Two types Voucher are there ( As Voucher & As Invoice )
Credit sale entry in Tally ERP 9
Example: ABC Ltd sold 10 No Goodyear Duraplus Tyre ( size : P 155/80R 1379t) for Rs 45000.00 to Ashok Leyland on 01-07-2016. ABC Ltd doesn’t want keep the stock item so they want it as Accounting Invoice.
We will enter this Sale transaction in As voucher Mode & As Invoice Mode for learning purposes.
Let’s journalise this transaction first for understanding purpose as beginner, not required for an expert.
Ashok Leyland A/c ………………………..Dr 45000.00
To, Tyre Sales 45000.00
Create the following ledger for sale entry
- Ashok Leyland :Under Sundry Debtors
- Tyre sales: Under Sales Account
To enter this transaction In Accounting Invoice Mode
Go to Gateway of Tally>>Accounting Voucher>F8 Sales
Press F8 from Keyboard or Click on F8: Sales Button on the right button Panel, now we are in sales voucher, by default tally shows Item Invoice because of that Accounting Invoice is visible on the button panel.
Click on Accounting Invoice button or Use short cut key on Alt +I.The item invoice will change to accounting invoice.Follow the step to
Now change the date by Pressing F2
- Reference No: You can enter any reference number for the identification purpose ,like Purchase order from customer, Delivery note number or your own reference if any.
- Party Name: In the Above example the party is Ashok Leyland. Press enter Key,
- Party details screen will be displayed.
In the screen, there are three option will display.
- Dispatch Details
- Order Details
- Buyer Details
Fill all the party details in supplementary screen as shown in below picture.
Press Enter to accept supplementary details
Press enter to accept the screen. or use CTRL + A
Tips: Creating service sale Invoice
- If you are entering a service charges invoice , For example consulting fee , Create an account namely“Consulting fee “ And type Consulting fees instead of Tyre sale under particulars.
- Read :How to prepare service invoice using sale voucher
As Voucher mode sale entry
Let’s enter the same transaction in as voucher mode, nothing different everything same as above only the appearance of sales voucher changes.
Click on As voucher button on the right button panel
- Enter reference number
- You will see By & To in the entry screen,By means Debit & To means Credit
- Enter Party name after By
- Enter Buyer details in supplementary screen
- Enter sales ledger after To
Cash sales voucher entry using item invoice
Item invoice is used when a company is maintaining Stock in tally to keep track of stock movement and to get an accurate stock of item for better serving and accurate financial reports.
Example :Abc Ltd sold 1 No Good Year duraplus for cash 40000 on 01-07-2016 company want to keep stock item in tally
- Create an item invoice sales voucher
- Make sales voucher in Voucher mode and Invoice mode
- Create Cash ledger ( by default cash account is created)
- Create Sale ledger
- Create Stock item “Good Year duraplus”
Recommend Read: How to create stock item
To enter the above transaction as item invoice Press Alt + I or click on Item invoice button on the right hand side.
- Ref No: If you have any reference number, type it here something like Purchase order number from buyer, phone ref no etc.
- Party Account Name: In this example party account name is cash ( for credit sale select party name)
- Party details: as explained earlier enter all details in supplementary screen and save.
- Sales Ledger: Select the sales ledger, companies may have more than one sales account for taxation & reporting purposes, here we have created a sales ledger namely Sale Tyre Select it.
- Enter name of item “Good Year duraplus”
- Enter Quantity 1 No,Rate 40000
- Enter narration
Press Ctrl + A or press Enter Key to save the screen
Sale entry in As voucher mode item invoice.
To enter the same transaction in voucher mode click on As voucher button
- Select By: Cash
- Select To: Sale tyre & press enter Inventory allocation screen will appear.
- Enter name of item “Good Year duraplus”,Quantity 1 No,Rate 40000.00
- Hit enter key to accept the inventory allocation screen.
- Enter narration and save the screen
- Accounting Invoice is used to enter sales voucher for service invoice and to enter traders who do not wish to keep stock in tally.
- Item Invoice is used issue invoice with stock item ,quantity ,rate details and those who wants to keep stock in tally.
- As Invoice & As vouchers are two types vouchers to enter sale transactions.Not much importance is there for this option.
We have created a video for sales entry, sales voucher or sales transactions. Please watch it if you want to get more idea.