How to create Ledger?Alter ,Delete ledger in tally erp 9
Table of Contents
- 1 What is a ledger in tally erp 9?
- 2 Learn the grouping of ledger in tally erp 9.
- 3 Modes of ledger creation & default ledgers in tally
- 4 How to create ledger in tally erp 9?
- 5 Example
- 6 How to view the ledger in tally erp 9?
- 7 How to alter a ledger in tally ?
- 8 Total opening Balance and it’s Difference column
- 9 F12 Configuration of ledger for creation
- 10 Unable to delete ledger in tally?
Last Updated on
Ledger Creation is the preliminary step to start with tally erp 9. Before creating a ledger you should know what is a ledger?.According to accounting concept a group of account is called a ledger .Where as an account is a device used to record effect of transactions on the assets,liabilities and capital of an enterprise. In manual accounting a ledger is a book with many accounts.
What is a ledger in tally erp 9?
But in tally erp 9, there are difference in this concept.We call an account as ledger.Their help documentation says a ledger is the actual account head to identify your transactions and are used in all accounting vouchers.For example purchase,sales,receipt and other accounts heads are ledger accounts.
For Reporting purpose a ledger is grouped according to it’s nature.This help you to now the summary of a specific category of expenses income, assets ,liability etc.
Tea expense grouped under indirect expenses, Purchase grouped under Purchase account , the sub division of Direct expense, This will help you in categorizing and the report for each category at a glance.
|Ledger||Grouped Under In tally||As per accounting classification|
|Tea Expense||Indirect Expense||Indirect Expense|
|Purchase A/c||Purchase Account||Direct Expense|
|ICICI Bank Loan||Secured loan||Liabilities|
|Furniture||Fixed Asset||Fixed Asset|
|Customer A||Sundry Debtors||Debtor|
|Supplier B||Sundry creditors||Creditor|
|Commission received||Indirect Income||Indirect Income|
In the Above example you can see the purchase account is grouped under a new group called Purchase Account in tally. But in reporting ( For eg : In profit and loss account) this will show as a direct expense in trading account .Here purchase account group is the sub division of Direct expense.
Learn the grouping of ledger in tally erp 9.
Every tally user should know which group falls under which group. Tally has divided the ledgers under 29 sub groups. In accounting you will not find this much of sub groups.For this purpose we have created a list of ledgers and it’s under group For beginners.
Modes of ledger creation & default ledgers in tally
Let’s create a ledger in tally erp 9. In tally when you create a company the software itself create two ledgers called Cash-in- hand and Profit & Loss account. They are called default ledgers. You can create ledgers in two methods. Single Ledger and multiple ledger method. In single mode you can create one account at a time.But all options related to the ledgers are available in single mode. Where as in multiple mode you can create unlimited ledgers in a single screen.but no related options are available. GST options are available in a ledger creation screen only when you activate gst in tally. Ledgers are placed under various group provided by tally. So that classification becomes easy. Apart from default groups ,a user can create sub groups.
IN THIS CHAPTER YOU WILL LEARN THE FOLLOWING ABOUT LEDGERS
- Ledger Creation
- Ledger Alteration.
- Ledger View
- Ledger Deletion
How to create ledger in tally erp 9?
Here we are discussing ledger creation in single mode
Go to Gateway of tally>Accounts Info>Ledger> create.
The shortcut key is A->L->C
This is the single ledger creation screen with GST options.
You have to input name , under. Under means the group or accounting classification in which the ledger falls under. Here is a list of ledgers and under group for your easy ref.
Create a Ledger for Printing & Stationery. Stationery is an Indirect expense, hence the group is Indirect expense.
- Name: Printing & Stationery
- alias: this is an alternative name or nick name . You can use both name for selection.
- Under :Indirect Expense.
- Inventory values are affected? No
- If you set this yes. When you use this ledger in any voucher, tally will ask you to allocated inventory or stock item. This can be used for keeping stationery item stock only if required.
- Type of ledger : There are two options available in latest versions. Discount & Invoice rounding Select not applicable unless you are creating a discount & round off account.
- Statutory information
- GST options available in this form if you have activated GST in tally. These options are required for sales , gst tax ,Some expenses like transportation,packing , customers & suppliers ledgers.
Here is the screen short of printing & stationery ledger creation.
Hit enter key to create and save.
How to view the ledger in tally erp 9?
Now that you have created an account, now let’s see how to view the created ledger master.
Accounts info> Ledgers >Display
Alsit of ledgers will open, select the one you want to view and hit enter.
Here you cannot make any changes.You can just see what has created by you.
How to alter a ledger in tally ?
You can edit a ledger in the following way.
A List of ledgers will display, select the one you want to modify.
Select the ledger you want to edit.make changes hit enter keys to save.
Editing of a ledger During Voucher entry
If you are in the middle of n entry, and want to edit or add something in the ledger you forgot to enter during the creation. What to do ? Will you quit the current voucher entry screen.
No ! You don’t need to come back and go to alteration screen. Here is the trick how to do this.
For example You are entering a sales voucher, You knew you have not entered the GSTIN of the party. What to do? Place the cursor on the party name and HIT CTRL+Enter from your keyboard.
The secondary ledger alteration screen will open
You can delete a ledger in the following way.
the same list will display again.select the ledger to be deleted.
In the bottom of the screen you will see a button ‘Delete‘. click on that or use
The shortcut key to delete a ledger is Alt+D
Tally will ask you a confirmation ,Click on Yes or hit Y from your keyboard.
Total opening Balance and it’s Difference column
You might have noticed a total opening balance and difference column at the top right . This shows the debit and credit side total of opening balance. Suppose if you are moving from a manual accounting system to tally erp 9 on 1st April 2019. Let’s take an example.
|Balance Sheet As on 31-03-2019|
|Loans sbi||75000||Stock In hand||75000|
|Sundry Creditors||Sundry Debtor|
|Supplier A||25000||Customer A||50000|
|Supplier B||25000||Customer B||75000|
Suppose ,If you create the first ledger ,Saju’s Capital, The opening balance difference column shows as
You will find the credit balance total and the difference. It will keep increasing both the sides if you continue to create the ledgers.
When you completed to create all the above mentioned ledger with opening balance the column will display as,
Make sure that when you start a fresh year, or a moving from manual system ,The opening balance total shall be tallied. This will tell you you have entered the previous year closing balance as current year opening balance accurately.
F12 Configuration of ledger for creation
If you press F12, From the ledger creation screen, you will find the following options.
You can activate deactivate the above options in the ledger creation screen. Lets see this in detail.
- Provide aliases along with name: You can use a second name or use a familiar name or alternative name for ledger. This can be a a code, or a name you like to call your ledger.
- Provide language aliases for name: This will create an option to select other language for creating name & alias.
- Provide advanced information in masters: to enter some of the advanced information in the ledger and group master. This information will be reflected in the reports.
- Add notes for ledger accounts: You can add some notes for every ledger accounts.
- Add description for ledger accounts : You can add a description for ledger ,and this will be visible in the voucher entry screen and reports.
- Provide address for ledger accounts : If you wish to add the address of the ledger, for example customer’s and supplier’s ledger you can add it activating this option.
- Provide Contact Details : Contact person,Phone number,Mobile No,Fax No, E-mail,CC to any ( alternative email),Website address.
- Allow method of appropriation (used in purchase invoice): This allows additional charges in the purchase invoice can be appropriated based on value & quantity.
- Allow effective date of reconciliation : This is applicable to bank accounts only. If you specified a date in bank ledger, the vouchers from that date will only considered for reconciliation.
Unable to delete ledger in tally?
If you are unable to delete a ledger or the delete button is not active or shortcut keys will not give you any result. This means you have already used this ledger in voucher entry. Tally ledger entry examples are ,Payment voucher, receipt voucher, contra vouchers etc.You should remove all entries in that ledger.You can edit that voucher and change the ledger.Then try to delete. otherwise you cannot delete any ledger.