Table of Contents
In this chapter we will study how to enter voucher in Tally ERP 9.To pass entries in Tally it is not even necessary to know the basic accounting principles. The software has developed such a way that a non commerce students and professional can use it.Tally has many voucher types for entering transactions .They are classified into three based on its nature.Here is the types and some of its examples.
- Accounting Voucher: – Payment ,Receipt,Contra,Sales,Purchase
- Non Accounting Vouchers: – Memorandum voucher,Optional Voucher,Reversing Journal ,Post-dated vouchers.
- Inventory Vouchers: – Purchase order, Sales order,Receipt Note,Delivery Note.
These classification helps to enter vouchers by any users without further mistakes. Most of the vouchers name says why it is used for. For entering a receipt you need not know the debit aspects and credit aspects of transactions..The magic of tally is that the entry will get posted into ledgers as you enter transactions.
The appearance of a Tally Voucher
The voucher entry screen has divided into three.
- Main Area: This is the area where you are input the transactions details like,ledgers,amount,narration.
- Button Bar: The area with various buttons available to change different voucher types like receipt,purchase & configuration button etc.
- Calculator: Calculator in tally is invisible in voucher entry screen,You can activate it by pressing Ctrl+M & to go back to main area Ctrl+N.
- Close button: to close the voucher entry screen and go back to Main menu gateway.
Payment transaction as an example for voucher entry.
We can consider some payment voucher to strat with.Payment vouchers are used to enter payment transactions or expense. For example traveling expense, Rent, staff welfare expense, loading and unloading expense, clearing expense and many more
Consider the following transaction for voucher entry
|Sr .No||Transactions details||Date||Amount|
|1||Stationery expense paid||01/09/2012||2200|
|2||Tea expense paid||05/09/2012||1500|
|3||Courier charge paid||07/09/2012||3500|
Initial Requirements for voucher entry
We need the following ledgers to be created before starting voucher entry.
- Printing & Stationery
- Tea expense
- Postage & Courier charges
- Cash Account
Recommend read: How to create ledger in Tally.
How to access a voucher?
The next step is how to access a voucher in tally software.
- To access an accounting voucher, You have to go through this way
Gateway of Tally>>Accounting Vouchers
- For Inventory voucher go to
Gateway of Tally>Inventory Vouchers
- To get Order Vouchers go to
Gateway of Tally>Order Vouchers
Tally opens last used voucher while accessing the the voucher screen.You have to choose the one you need using buttons, or shot cut keys.
Here is the graphical representation of accessing payment voucher
You can use Hot key pressed from key board V then F5 .Now you are in payment voucher screen.
Recommend reading: Tips and tricks to speedup data entry.
How to change the date of the voucher?
Tally display the date pf last entry in any of its voucher screen.You have to change date by pressing F2 Short cut key or by clicking date button at the top right of the screen.
Change the date to voucher date of the example here 01/09/2012
Press enter to accept and save the new date
Now at the top of the screen you can see the voucher name and voucher number
Payment No: 1 : The voucher name is payment and the voucher number is 1. This number will automatically change to the next number as you keep entering vouchers.
Account: The name of account to be credited in case of a payment voucher,Debited in case of a receipt voucher. In our cash we are paying cash.If you are giving a cheque you have to select bank account here. Press enter
Cur Bal :Here the current balance of selected account will be displayed. If there is 5500 balance in cash account this balance will be shown as Cur Bal : 5500
particulars: Type the ledger name under which we are paying money for, here it is printing& stationary.
Amount: Enter the amount of payment.
The total balance of Printing and stationary will be displayed under Cur Bal: 2200.00 Dr.Dr Here means debit balance
Press enter, the next field is narration, where you can type all the details of transactions including bill no and other details, here you can enter whatever details you want. A typical narration is below
Now press enter the final screen will be as follows.
- The screen will ask Accept, Yes or NO
- If you accept Press enter ,click on Yes, to save the screen.
If you need some correction at this stage press Back space from Keyboard, make changes and press enter until it saves.
You can ask any doubts through our comment section.If you like us please help us to spread the world by sharing our articles.