What is Voucher Type in Tally ERP9 ,How to create edit and delete
Table of Contents
Last Updated on
Earlier we had lessons about voucher entry , edit and delete of voucher in Tally ERP9. This time we are going to learn about Voucher Types. A voucher type is a template to create various types of vouchers in Tally ERP 9. In this chapter we will cover the following.
- What is voucher?
- What is voucher type in Tally Perspective?
- Pre-defined voucher types
- Classification of voucher type.
- Why new voucher type required?
- How to create voucher type?
- How to edit and delete voucher type?
What is voucher ?
In accounting sense, voucher is an internal document used in a company’s accounts payable department in order to collect and organize the necessary documentation and approvals before paying a vendor invoice. The voucher acts as a cover page to which the following will be attached: vendor invoice, company’s purchase order, company’s receiving report, and other information needed to process the vendor invoice for payment. You can get more idea about voucher here
Voucher Type In Tally ERP9 Point of View
In Tally ERP9 Voucher type is the data entry form or templates where we can enter different types of transactions like Sales,Purchase,Receipt etc. The voucher type can be created ,altered and deleted in tally. Voucher types can be created through Gateway of Tally >Masters And used Through Gateway of Tally > Transactions.
Here is the voucher type templates creation screen
This templates can be accessed and used through Transaction entry screen.
Go to Gateway of Tally >Accounting Vouchers
Here are the examples of voucher types in tally, See the below images for more clarity on the Voucher Type.
Pre-Defined Voucher Types In Tally
Now Lets see the pre-defined voucher types in tally, To get the Predefined Voucher type, Go to;
Gateway of Tally>>Accounts Info >>Voucher Types>>Display
In the List There are 26 Voucher Types are there.
If you want to see the payroll voucher types
Gateway of Tally>>Payroll Info >>Voucher Types>>Alter/Display
Classification of Voucher Types
The voucher types can be classified in to three based on Tally Masters, For each Masters there are Voucher Types
- Accounting Voucher Types : – These voucher types are used for recording accounting transactions, For Instance to record the debit and credit of every transactions.Like Cash Payment,Bank deposit,Vendor payment, Receiving cash from customer, recording cash and credit sale etc.
- Inventory Voucher Types:- Inventory Vouchers are vouchers to record the movement of stock into and out to the business.Receipt Note when a goods are received, Delivery note when a goods is delivered to customer,Rejection in voucher when a sales return is happened, the inventory shall be bring back to the godown,Rejection out is when a purchase return is happened, the material is go beck to the supplier etc.
- Payroll Voucher Type: – To prepare the employee salary payment and other statutory payment & deductions payroll vouchers are used.Payroll is for input payroll data like attendance ,payroll etc.
Why new Voucher Type?
There are pre-created voucher types in tally for all kinds of transactions,Then why we are creating new voucher type? I will give you a simple example
You are a trader selling goods of taxes 14.5 % & 5%, in such case vendor may require invoices with unique numbers for better administration and tax management purposes.
So each tax classes must have different numbering system and it is useful for sales volume of that particular tax class.
This is the one situation we require a new voucher type. Here we are creating the new voucher type as “Sales 14.5”
Voucher types are also useful when you want a particular transactions accounted in a particular leder, For example
ABC Ltd Sells 18 % items in using a Voucher type called Sales 18 % All the sales transactions entered through this voucher type is booked in GST sales 18 % Ledger account automatically. This can be done through a voucher type using voucher class
How to create Voucher Type?
Let’s Create a New Voucher Type Sales 18 % ,This is to enter sale transactions.
To create a voucher type go to the following menu.
Gateway Of Tally>>Accounting Info>>Voucher Types>>Create
You will have the following Screen; Enter the details as in the Below Images.
Name : Sales 18%
Select The Type of Voucher : It must be “Sale” as we are creating sales voucher type.
Method of Numbering : There are 5 Methods of voucher numbering in tally erp 9.
- Automatic : The voucher number generated automatically.
- Automatic (Manual Override) : The default numbering is Automatic, But you can override by manually typing the number in the voucher number field.For example If the current voucher number is 10, and you need this voucher number as 12, type the number 12 manually. The next voucher number will displayed 13 automatically by system. If you select this method of voucher numbering, and additional option displayed ,Prevent duplicates, by activating this, you can prevent typing already existing voucher numbers.
- Manual: This will be manual voucher numbers,You can input your own voucher numbers. Here also duplicates are prevented by enabling the option prevent duplicates.
- Multi-user Auto: This is an advanced voucher numbering for a multi user environment,If more than one users are trying to access the same vouchers.If you use Automatic voucher in a multi environment When a specific voucher number is used by one of the user the other user will have to re-accept the voucher so that the next available voucher number is allotted to his voucher. To overcome this situation and to ensure that the vouchers are numbered sequentially and to ensure that the bill-wise details do not have to be re-entered manually as it will get updated with the new voucher number on acceptance of the voucher entry Multi-user auto voucher number is used.
- None: This will disable voucher numbering
Use Advance configuration : Advance configuration will give you the options to set
- Starting voucher Number: You can decide the starting voucher number, If you want to start voucher number from 1001, Type it there.
- Width of Numerical Part: You can decide the width ,For example 3,4, 5, 6 etc.
- Pre-fill With Zero :If you want to start the number 1001 and numerical part set is 6 then prefill 00 as 001001.
- Restart Numbering: You can restart voucher numbering ,Daily ,Monthly,Weekly,Yearly or never. At the same time you can set the applicable date,Starting number also.
- Prefix details: You can prefix some thing before the voucher number for example : INV/1001, To get a format like this enter INV/
- Suffix details : You can fix anything at the end of the invoice like INV/10001/19-20.,To get suffix like this enter /19-20.
Advance configuration & Invoice numbering can be learned in our another post here.
Use Effective dates for Vouchers :If you set this Yes ,You will get a new field of entry where effective date can be entered.
Make This voucher type as “Optional” by default : Enabling this will make the voucher as “optional voucher “.This means when an entry is made, will not affect the books of accounts until mark it as regular voucher.
Allow Narration In voucher : Enable or disable narration
Provide narration for each ledger in voucher : Set Yes/No ,If enabled you can get a narration field under each ledger in the voucher.Learn more here
Enabling Default Accounting allocation : Here you can set the Default Ledger for allocating transactions ,We will give you a detailed post regarding this.
Set/alter default accounting entries: If you enable this, The ledgers selected in the screen will be automatically selected during voucher entry.
Print After Saving Voucher :- Enabling will print the invoice immediately after saving.
Use For POS invoicing: This is specifically for sales voucher type, you can use in POS invoicing.
Default Title To print: When printing the title can be set here for example “tax invoice”.
Default Bank: Select the bank in Default bank option to print the default bank ledger when the option Print Bank Details is enabled in a Sales voucher.
Default Jurisdiction:Enter the Default jurisdiction to be printed on the invoice, if required.
Set/alter declaration:If activated ,the declaration to be printed in the invoice is set here.
Name of Class : Create a voucher class in the name of class if required.
Press Enter and SAVE. New voucher type will have created.
How to access new voucher type?
You have created a new sales voucher type, To access this you have to go to
Gateway of Tally> Accounting Voucher >>F8 sales
You will have a list of voucher type select the newly created voucher type,and start entering data.
How to Edit the Voucher Type?
To edit the newly created or existing voucher type go to
Gateway of Tally>>Accounting info>>Voucher Types>>Alter
Select the one you need modification
Make necessary changes and save.
How to Delete the voucher type?
You can delete a voucher until you have not made any entry or transaction with it. Other wise for deleting you have to move all entry from that voucher type or delete all entries made with that voucher type.
To delete the voucher type go to
Gateway Of Tally>>Accounting Info>>Voucher Type>>Alter
Select the Voucher type you want to delete
Click On the “Delete Button” On the bottom left of the Screen Or Use ALT+D Shortcut Keys.
We have created a video Tutorial on this you watch this on Youtube