How to create bank ledger/ bank account in Tally.ERP 9
Table of Contents
Last Updated on
Bank account is the most important Ledger account of every business organisation.In this Tutorial we will learn How to create a bank ledger in Tally ERP 9.Create a bank account in Tally is as simple or as similar as normal ledger creation. Cash accumulated with cashier through selling of goods or service is deposited into bank account is the practice of every business. In order to record such deposit we need a ledger called bank ledger to record all bank transactions.
Before creating a bank ledger it is essential to know the types of bank accounts already grouped in Tally ERP 9.
What is Bank OCC account?
Bank OCC account meaning Bank Open Cash Credit.It is loan account offered by banking institutions against security like stock or Raw materials ,Finished Goods and Receivable Like Debtors and collateral like Land,Building,Plant & Machinery etc. A limit will be fixed for drawing based on the security given by an assessment done by officials. The limit will be fixed as a certain percentage of the value of security.For providing such service bank will charges interest as a return for the service provided. Bank OCC Account balances minus always or credit balance – Liability in Businesses Books of account.
What is Bank OD account?
Bank OD account is a current account with bank. When a customer draw over and above his available balance it becomes over draft account. Not all current account is over draft account.but all over draft account is a current account. To over draw from your current account you must get prior approval from bank based on some eligibility criteria like credibility of business.Total turn over of business and collateral that banks demands. Bank charges interest on the amount overdrawn and on daily running balances. OD account may have Debit balance when customer deposit more cash than over drawn. Usually Over draft account holds a credit balance in the books of accounts of a business.
What is Bank account?
This is a deposit account where we deposit money and withdraw when needed. This can be a current account,saving account or a Fixed Deposit account.Normally business uses Current Account for regular deposit and withdrawal.
These are the three types of Bank Account Group Found in Tally.ERP9.
How to create a bank account in Tally.ERP 9
Let’s create Three bank account under all three group.
Example for Bank Ledger Creation in Tally
To create bank account in Tally go to
Gateway of Tally > Accounts Info > Ledger > Create
Or you can access this screen using hot keys.Press A + L + C consecutively. That is From the gateway of tally press A from your key board then L then C. The Ledger creation screen look like this image.
Now Lets Create the current account bank Ledger/account in Tally ERP9
In our example State bank of India is the Current Account.In the Ledger creation enter the details as explained below.
- Name: Enter the name of Bank here. For easy access of account number you can enter its account Number at the end of the name like State bank of India A/c No – 300205145121 or SBI A/c No : 300205145121. Otherwise State Bank of India.
- alias: Alias is the second name of the ledger, you can give some code number, account number or some other name. You can view ledger report by using this name also.
- Under : This is the group we have discussed earlier like OCC ,OD Account. You can select this from the list. Type Bank Account here as this is a current account.
Bank Account Details:
- A/c Holder’s Name: ABC Ltd ,Name automatically populated.
- A/c No : 300205145121
- IFSC Code: Enter IFS Code of bank , For Example SBIN0001234
- Bank Name : Select the bank name from the list, You must have a licenced version of tally erp 9 to get this option.
- Branch Name: Enter the bank’s branch name.
In general Configuration There are two options
- Set Cheque Books: You can set the cheque book numbers received from you, each time you do not need to enter the cheque number, the number will automatically populated serially during bank payment entry.
Activate this option typing Yes
You will get a screen to enter the starting number & end number of cheques.
Hit enter ,the screen will save and go back to bank account creation screen.
- Set Cheque Printing Configuration: Activate this option if you wish to configure cheque printing instead of manually writing.
Learn more: How to configure cheque printing in tally erp 9?
- Under Mailing Details Enter the address of the bank branch
- Country: India
- State: Select the state from the list.Example Delhi
- Enter Pin Code: 110034
Tax Registration Details :
GSTIN/UIN : This option is available only if you activated GST in tally Enter the GSTIN of the bank.
- Opening Balance : 100000 Dr Debit balance
Create Bank OCC Ledger Account in Tally ERP 9
Bank OCC Ledger creation is similar to current account, only you need to take care the following.
- Under : Bank OCC A/c
- Set OD Limit : You might have a maximum limit for OCC account. Enter maximum limit of over draft allowed. for example 5000000
- Enable auto reconciliation : Tally allows auto reconciliation for some banks. If you want auto reconciliation enabled. activate Yes.
- Opening Blance: Since OCC account ,the balance stands negative. Company is owes to bank. So enter credit balance 2500000 Cr as shown in the below image. Balance may stand Debit or credit according to situations.
Rest of all are similar to the current account creation explained above, I am not repeating those options again here.
Note: Since Bank OCC & Bank OD Is loan account, only Bank OD A/c is displayed in field ‘Under’ even if you selected bank OD A/c.
Creating Bank OD Ledger In Tally ERP 9
Bank OD account creation in tally have the same process of creating Bank OCC Ledger. Just giving the image, choose Bank OD A/c in the Under field. Enter opening balance as credit balance.
Save the screen.Hope the tutorials help.Please comment for any doubt clarifications.