How to enter sales voucher in Tally ERP 9
Table of Contents
- 1 Classification of sale transactions
- 2 Quick Guide – How to enter sales voucher in tally?
- 3 How to access sales voucher?
- 4 Accounting Invoices in tally erp 9
- 5 Voucher mode sale entry in tally erp 9
- 6 Item Invoice In tally erp 9
- 7 Sales voucher entry with GST
- 8 Example of GST interstate transaction
- 9 Use Separate Actual and billed quantity column in sale Invoice
Last Updated on
Sale is the most important part of every business. Sale entry or sales voucher entry is a part of daily routine of every business.Sale is revenue account in nature hence termed as the main income steam of organization. Sale vouchers are preparing not just for accounting purposes but for certain some other reasons also like,
- In order to comply the statutory rules by law of the country.
- To issue a sale document, that is the sale invoice to the customer.
For collecting tax and making payment to the government we need to prepare Invoice with all required details, It is mandatory prepared by the seller and issued to the buyer as per Indian Gst Act.
In this lesson we will learn how to enter sales transaction in Tally ERP 9. A sale can be classified into two.
Classification of sale transactions
Sales transactions can be broadly classified as
- Cash Sale: This does not require much explanation as its name says everything.Goods are sold on cash is called cash sale.The recording of cash sale is explained below.
- Credit sale: Goods or services are sold for Credit,The consideration of sale not received at the time of selling and customer agreed to give the money at a later period.
Quick Guide – How to enter sales voucher in tally?
Those are in hurry and just want to know how to enter sales voucher in tally ,follow the few steps below. If you have more time;you will have a detailed illustration entry below.
- Go to gateway of Tally> Accounting Voucher>F8 sales (click on button or use function key F8)
- Change the date if needed by pressing F2 or date button.
- Click on Acct Invoice button if no stock is involved in the sale, or click on Item Invoice if stock items are need to be selected.
- Enter ref no,Party name,sales ledger,name of item ,Quantity & rate in case you have chosen item invoice.
- Enter ref no,party a/c name,particulars ( ledger to be credited) rate and amount in case you have chosen accounts invoice.
- Write the narration & and save the voucher by using Ctrl+A.
Types of Sales Invoice In tally
A sales voucher may or may not possess accounting and inventory details,When you create a voucher of a service provided, it contains only accounting details such as the income account & name of the service receiver etc. When you prepare a sale voucher of item sale, it contains both the accounting & inventory details.
Tally Provides Two types of Sales Entry.
- Accounting Invoice: – This Type of Voucher is used for creating Service invoices, sales invoice for Traders who does not want to keep the track of stock. or doesn’t care about stock;By using this mode we can bill Income heads ( ledger) like, Professional charges, Consultation fees, sales Etc.For Example, An agency is charging “Agency Charges” from his client. In this case we bill Agency Charges. Agency Charge is an income Ledger .
Example 2 for Accounting Invoice: An Electronic goods leader want to bill Television sale. But he doesn’t want the stock to be maintained with Tally. In Such case we can bill the customer using his income ledger account “TV Sale” instead of billing TV name as a stock item.
Accounts Invoice is available in both Accounts Only, accounts with Inventory modes of Tally ERP 9
- Item Invoice:-This type of invoice is available in companies enabled Accounts with Inventory mode only. If a company keeping inventory and accounts with Tally software. Then he can bill stock for Example Sony Bravia 15” Tv
By default tally creates company with inventory module, You can disable it from
F11 Company Features > F1 Accounting Features
Maintain Accounts Only : Yes
To switch between Accounts Invoice and Item invoice click on Accounts Invoice button on the right button panel. Or use Alt+I. This works as a toggle.
How to access sales voucher?
You can access the sales voucher through accounting vouchers menu. This is located at
Gateway of Tally > Accounting Voucher > F8 Sale
Or use F8 Function key from Accounting voucher key instead of clicking on button. Here is a typical sale voucher.
Two Types of sales voucher mode for sales entry
In voucher entry there are two types sales voucher in Tally. Just understand that the importance of this voucher is only in term appearance and Invoice mode is helpful for automatic calculation of Taxes.You can enter Accounts invoice ( professional charges) & Item Invoice ( like mobiles, rice, spare parts) using both as voucher mode and as invoice mode vouchers.
- As voucher: This mode is used to enter sales transactions in double entry mode. The below image give you the typical sales screen in as voucher mode.
2. As Invoice: This type of voucher is used to enter sales transactions in single entry mode. and want to issue an invoice/bill to customer. This voucher is useful for automatic calculation of taxes in sales invoice. Below is the typical sales screen as Invoice.
To toggle between these two types of voucher Use short cut Key Ctrl+V,Or click on ,As voucher /As Invoice Button on the right button panel.
Accounting Invoices in tally erp 9
For the purpose of learning , We start with accounting Invoice. Let’s do the following example of credit sale.
Credit sale entry in Tally ERP 9
For entering credit sale entry , we will use Accounting Invoice Option. That is no stock is
Example: ABC Ltd sold 10 No Goodyear Duraplus Tyre ( size : P 155/80R 1379t) for Rs 45000.00 to Ashok Leyland on 01-07-2016. ABC Ltd doesn’t want keep the stock item so they want it as Accounting Invoice.
We will enter this Sale transaction in voucher Mode & As Invoice Mode for learning purposes.
Let’s journalise this transaction for beginners, Experts please excuse.
Ashok Leyland A/c ………………………..Dr 45000.00
To, Tyre Sales 45000.00
Create the following ledger for sale entry
- Ashok Leyland :Under Sundry Debtors
- Tyre sales: Under Sales Account
To enter this transaction In Accounting Invoice Mode
Go to Gateway of Tally>>Accounting Voucher>F8 Sales
- Press F8 from Keyboard or Click on F8: Sales Button on the right button Panel, now we are in sales voucher, by default tally shows Item Invoice This is the reason why Accounting Invoice is visible on the button panel.
- Click on Accounting Invoice button or Use short cut key on Alt +I.The item invoice will change to accounting invoice.Follow the step to enter sale in voucher mode.
- Now change the date by Pressing F2
- Reference No: You can enter any reference number for the identification purpose ,like Purchase order from customer, Delivery note number or your own reference if any.
- Party Name: In the Above example the party is Ashok Leyland. Press enter Key,
- Party details screen will be displayed.
In the screen, there are three option will display.
- Dispatch Details
- Order Details
- Buyer Details
Fill all the party details in supplementary screen as shown in below picture.
Press Enter to accept supplementary details
- Particulars: Select the sales account Sale Tyre.
- Enter Amount Then type narration
- Press enter to accept the screen. or use CTRL + A
Tips: Creating service sale Invoice
- If you are entering a service charges invoice , For example consulting fee , Create an account namely“Consulting fee “ And type Consulting fees instead of Tyre sale under particulars.
Voucher mode sale entry in tally erp 9
Let’s enter the same transaction in voucher mode, nothing different everything same as above only the appearance of sales voucher changes.
Click on As voucher button on the right button panel, the voucher will change in double entry mode.
- Enter reference number
- You will see By & To in the entry screen,By means Debit & To means Credit
- Enter Party name after By
- Enter Buyer details in supplementary screen
- Enter sales ledger after To
Item Invoice In tally erp 9
Item invoice are the sales voucher with stock items, you can enter item invoice either in voucher mode or in Invoice mode, The most popular way is to enter in Invoice mode.
How to enter cash sale voucher in tally?
We have used accounting invoice in the above two examples.This time let’s take an example of cash sale with an Item invoice.
Item invoice is used when a company is maintaining Stock in tally to keep track of stock movement and to get an accurate stock summary of item for better serving and accurate financial reports.
Example :Abc Ltd sold 1 No Good Year duraplus for cash 40000 on 01-07-2016 company want to keep stock item in tally
- Create an item invoice sales voucher
- Make sales voucher in Voucher mode and Invoice mode
- Create Cash ledger ( by default cash account is created by tally no need to create another one)
- Create Sale ledger
- Create Stock item “Good Year duraplus”
Recommend Read: How to create stock item
To enter the above transaction as item invoice Press Alt + I or click on Item invoice button on the right hand side.
- Ref No: If you have any reference number, type it here something like Purchase order number from buyer, phone ref no etc.
- Party Account Name: In this example party account name is cash ( for credit sale select party name)
- Party details: as explained earlier enter all details in supplementary screen and save.
- Sales Ledger: Select the sales ledger, companies may have more than one sales account for taxation & reporting purposes, here we have created a sales ledger namely Sale Tyre Select it.
- Enter name of item “Good Year duraplus”
- Enter Quantity 1 No,Rate 40000
- Enter narration
Press Ctrl + A or press Enter Key to save the screen
Sale entry in voucher mode item invoice.
To enter the same transaction in voucher mode click on As voucher button
- Select By: Cash
- Select To: Sale tyre & press enter Inventory allocation screen will appear.
- Enter name of item “Good Year duraplus”,Quantity 1 No,Rate 40000.00
- Hit enter key to accept the inventory allocation screen.
- Enter narration and save the screen
- Accounting Invoice is used to enter sales voucher for service invoice and to enter traders who do not wish to keep stock in tally.
- Item Invoice is used issue invoice with stock item ,quantity ,rate details and those who wants to keep stock in tally.
- As Invoice & As vouchers are two types vouchers to enter sale transactions.Not much importance is there for this option.
Sales voucher entry with GST
Now that GST has implemented in India, and every taxable sale must include gst taxes.For local sale CGST & SGST and for interstate IGST is applicable. For local sale ; that is transactions within the state attract CGST & SGST where as interstate transactions attract IGST Let’s see how a sale transaction with gst is entered in tally erp 9.
Example of GST Local sale transaction:
XYZ Company sold 10 No Tables Rs 4500/pcs gst@ 12% HSN Code: 2501 and 5 No plastic doors Rs 2750/pieces GST @ 18% HSN : 3925 to Sunitha Furniture. Both the parties are registered as a GST dealer in same state.
- The first step is activate gst You have to enter the GSTIN of your company
To do this go to F11 features > F3 statutory
Enable Goods & Service tax ( GST) : Yes & Set/alter GST details: Yes
Here you can update the GSTIN number and other gst details.
- Decide where to set HSN code and tax rates Let’s set rate at stock item level
- Create GST ledgers ( CGST & SGST) , customer ledgers, sales ledgers as usual.But make sure that the State and GST number of the customer entered accurately.
- Enter the transaction in F8 Sales voucher.
- Unlike normal voucher here you need to choose CGST & SGST voucher after item selection. You need to enter twice to select any accounting ledgers like CGST,SGST & Packing charges etc.
Party A/c name : Sunitha furniture
Sales Ledger : The sales ledger created with gst activated.
Name of item: Select the name of the items its quantity, rate and amount.
Hit Enter key twice after completing entering stock items to get out of the inventory area. You will
Hit enter and save the voucher.
Example of GST interstate transaction
XYZ Company ( Kerala) sells 10 Nos of Suitcase @ 2500/Pcs & 50 Nos Brief case @ 5000 to Taj Traders ( Karnataka) ( HSN for both the products is 4202) GST rate is 18%.
In this scenario, there is not much difference from local sale transaction. Only difference is in the tax part. You have to select IGST ledger for tax calculation.
Important point: is that when creating a party ledger the state must be accurate, if wrong state is selected, IGST will not be calculated.
Use Separate Actual and billed quantity column in sale Invoice
Sometimes when selling the actual quantity given to the customer and the quantity mentioned in the bill may be different. The billed quantity may be less than the quantity given to the customer due to.
- An offer like buy one get three.
- Round off the billing quantity ,For Example given cloth of 25.75 Meter and billed only 25 meter.
In these cases,there is a 100% chance of difference in stock item. If we do sales invoicing in above mentioned methods stock becomes in accurate.
To overcome this situation tally provides you two column of actual and billed quantity in sales voucher.
Billed quantity affects only accounts and Actual quantity affects the stock, hence the problem of difference in stock item resolved.
To activate actual and billed quantity feature in sale invoice
F11 Features > F2 Inventory features
Use separate actual and billed quantity columns: Yes
Example : 02.04-2018 XYZ company sells Trade House, 100 Meter of white cloth @ 60/meter , but the customer has been given 105 meter cloths as the remaining cloths in the role was only 5 meter. The company decided to given the balance 5 meter for free.
On 02-04-2018 Before generating this sale invoice the stock of white cloth was,
Prepare a sale voucher with actual and billed quantity.
Now the stock summary after this entry.
You will find the party ledger is charged only for 100 meter clothe’s value.
We have created a video for sales entry, sales voucher or sales transactions. Please watch it if you want to get more idea.